Saturday, March 26, 2011

What is Hypnotherapy?

by Eve Dias

Guest Blogger!



           What is Hypnotherapy? Am I going to lose control or cluck like a chicken?  Yes, there are many misconceptions about hypnotherapy.  And that may be because many people’s only experience of it involves seeing a stage show where people were made to do incredibly embarrassing things to the loud laughter of the audience, and appeared to have no awareness of it. 


Getting What I Wanted, Yet Unable to Enjoy It

           I will admit my first exposure to hypnosis was, indeed, a stage show at my high school's all-night grad party.  Watching the popular kids embarrass themselves was my favorite memory, but it did not make me want to ever try it.  Fast forward to me having my first experience with hypnotherapy ten years later to end my ten-year battle with my weight.  I had tried diets (healthy or un-healthy), exercise, and had noticed the completely ironic situation that the better my life got in terms of healthier relationship, better home, happier children, the worse my weight, anxiety and fear got.

Hypnosis connects us to inner
resources and strengths buried 
within our subconscious minds.
          It seemed like this cruel joke.  I had improved so many areas of my life through the three years of serious committed personal growth work I had done post-divorce.  I had left an emotionally abusive marriage with no idea how I was going to care for my one- and three-year-old sons by myself.  I had weathered the welfare system, started a successful home daycare business, healed a lot of my self-destructive negative thoughts and habits, formed a healthy co-parenting relationship with my ex, and had found a new relationship with a man who supported and loved me fully and completely.

          Yet my weight was getting worse than ever, I was sinking into a depression, I had extreme allergies, and anxiety that I just could not shake.  I'd gotten everything I had ever wanted in life, yet I couldn't enjoy any of it.



Change Through Hypnotherapy

          That is the point I was at the first time I experienced hypnotherapy.  I was lying in a quiet room, on a comfy couch, and as the hypnotherapist’s voice started, I felt myself relaxing deeper and deeper.  I was aware of everything she was saying, some of it made sense, some of it seemed odd.  I felt as though I was drifting off to sleep, or just waking up.  As she would say certain instructions, I would feel different sensations taking place in my body.   I was so relaxed that I felt as though I could have stayed there forever, in fact when the session came to an end I felt a sadness, not wanting it to be over.  As it was over I wasn’t sure if what she had said  really changed anything.  I mean, it felt incredibly relaxing, but really, what could have changed in a mere half an hour?      

             As I went home I noticed things were different, I was more relaxed, positive, and all of a sudden I wasn’t turning to food for comfort.  After a couple sessions I realized how much food had been a constant obsession.  Even if I wasn’t eating it, I was constantly thinking about it.  I hadn’t realized the extent of that obsession, until it was gone.

          In fact, as the sessions progressed, I noticed my reactions to my entire life got better.  I was, all of a sudden, calm when my new teenage step-children decided they hated me.  When the bills were tight, I was optimistic, and looking for solutions.  My allergies disappeared.  I craved the brussel sprout salads from Nugget Market instead of the mocha frappuccino from Starbuck’s.  It all happened naturally and unconsciously, in fact sometimes I would just stop and realize that I was handling something so differently than I had handled it before.  


Just the Tip of the Iceberg

            Now, as a hypnotherapist who has helped hundreds of clients, I am still amazed at the progress they can make with only half-hour sessions of hypnotherapy.  I have come to realize the miraculous potential of the human mind!  Our conscious mind is less that 5%, and our subconscious mind is 95%.  Many people are trying with their conscious minds to battle their subconscious minds, and the odds are so unfair.


Some say the conscious mind only uses 5-10% of the brain, and is, in ess-
ence, just the tip of the ice berg.  That would mean the subconscious mind 
uses a whopping 90-95%  of  our brains.  It influences the autonomic func-
tions of our bodies, as well as imagination and creativity, even emotions.




          Hypnotherapy gets people’s subconscious minds working for them, not against them.  I remember being a teenager thinking that hypnosis was just a way of "controlling" people.  But I now see that hypnotherapy gives your control back to you.  It  gives you back the reins to your own life.  Your mind has the power to heal your life emotionally, mentally and physically, and hypnotherapy allows you to harness that potential.


To contact Eve, please visit her website:  http://www.sacramentohynotherapy.com/


_____________________________________________


Some resources:

Self-Hypnosis For Dummies (For Dummies (Psychology & Self Help))


Self-Hypnosis For Dummies






Hypnosis for Beginners: Reach New Levels of Awareness & Achievement (Llewellyn's Beginners Series)


Hypnosis for Beginners: Reach New Levels of Awareness & Achievement
by William W. Hewitt





     

No comments:

Post a Comment