Monday, July 30, 2012

On Alignment with One's Purpose, and Relieving Suffering


An excerpt from a speech made by comedian, Jim Carey
at the inaugural event for GATE (Global Alliance for 
Transformational Entertainment)
June 4, 2009 


       I was two people my entire life:

       I was in the living room, entertaining people, being a monkey, doing my thing for the company...

       ...and I was always trying to relieve my mother, who was suffering.  She had arthritis, flubitis, and everything under the sun that was nagging at her...she was depressed. 


        I wanted her to be free.  I wanted her to realize that her life was worth something because she gave birth to someone whose life was worth something. 

        I would go into my room and I would sit with a legal pad –I was just a little kid – but I would sit there.  I would try to figure out what it meant, what it was all about, why are we here? what is this?

        And one day I read something from Buddha that said, all spirituality is about relieving suffering.  Then I realized: that’s what I’m doing in the other room. 

        And I’m aligned with this, my purpose is aligned with this.  So, I felt incredibly lucky.  I lose sight of that all the time; I get caught up in concerns, ego concerns. But I’m so lucky to be a part of this…


.

No comments:

Post a Comment